The British Music Hall Society (BMHS) is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. For the purposes of the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) and any subsequent UK legislation covering data protection, the Data Controller is the British Music Hall Society (Charity No. 1128961).
This Policy sets out why we collect personal information about individuals and how we use that information. It explains the legal basis for this and the rights you have over the way your information is used.
We may change this Policy from time to time. If we make any significant changes, we will advertise this on our website (britishmusichallsociety.com) or contact you directly with the information. Please check this page occasionally to make sure you are happy with any changes.
What Type of Personal Information We Collect
The type and amount of information we collect depends on why you are providing it. The information we collect will usually include your name, email address, postal address, phone number, and company name (if relevant). If you are a member, for example, making a donation or signing up for an event, in addition to asking for your name and contact details (your full address, email address, and phone number), we may also ask you for details such as your date of birth, although you are not obliged to provide this.
If you use your credit or debit card to make a purchase or donation on our website, we will ensure that this is done securely and in accordance with the Payment Industry Data Security Standard. Your card details are processed securely by external payment gateways, and we do not receive, nor can we access or store your card details.
How We Collect Information
We may collect information from you whenever you contact or engage with us. For example, when you:
- Visit our website (see below for Cookies policy)
- Order merchandise from us
- Donate to us or inquire about sponsorship and advertising opportunities
- Sign up as a member of the British Music Hall Society
- Inquire about our archive or research
- Sign up to receive news about our activities (online)
- Post content onto our social media channels
- Volunteer for us
- Attend an event
- Book tickets for, or take part in, our events
- Contact us in any way including online, email, phone, SMS, social media, or post
- Enter a competition
- Register your interest in becoming a member
Where We Collect Information From
From you when you give it to us directly: You may provide your details when you ask us for information or make an enquiry, make a donation, volunteer, attend our events, sign up to a mailing list, order goods from us, or contact us for any other reason. Your information is shared with Inprint Colour, who assist with the distribution of The Call Boy (and have appropriate policies and safeguards in place), but we are still responsible for your information.
When you have given other organizations permission to share it: Your information may be provided to us by other organizations if you have given them your permission. This might, for example, be a charity working with us or might be when you buy a product or service from a third-party organization. The information we receive from other organizations depends on your settings or the option responses you have given them.
When it is available on social media: Depending on your settings or the privacy policies applying for social media and messaging services you use, like Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter, and only within the context of the services we offer, you might give us permission to access information from those accounts or services. We won’t share this information.
How We Use Your Information
We will use your personal information in a number of ways which reflect the legal basis applying to the processing of your data. These may include:
- Providing you with the information or services you have asked for
- Processing donations you make, including processing for Gift Aid purposes
- Organizing volunteering activity you have told us you want to be involved in and in relation to the fundraising for us you are involved in
- Sending you email communications that may be of interest, including marketing information about our services and activities, campaigns and appeals asking for donations and other fundraising activities and promotions for which we seek support
- Seeking your views on the services or activities we carry on so that we can make improvements
- Maintaining our organizational records and ensuring we know how you prefer to be contacted
- Analyzing the operation of our website and analyzing your website behavior to improve the website and its usefulness
- Processing membership applications
How We Keep Your Information Safe
We understand the importance of the security of your personal information and take appropriate steps to safeguard it. BMHS secures your personal information from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. BMHS secures the personally identifiable information you provide on computer servers in a controlled, secure environment, protected from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. When personal information (such as a credit card number) is transmitted to other websites, it is protected through the use of encryption, such as the Secure Socket Layer (SSL) protocol.
We always ensure only authorized persons have access to your information, which means only our committee and contractors, and that everyone who has access is trained appropriately to manage your information. No data transmission over the internet can, however, be guaranteed to be 100% secure. So, while we strive to safeguard your information, we cannot guarantee the security of any information you provide online, and you do this at your own risk.
Keeping Your Information Up to Date
We would appreciate if you let us know when your contact details change. You can do so by contacting us at email@example.com
Our Use of “Cookies”
“Cookies” are small pieces of information sent by a web server to a web browser, which enable the server to collect information from the browser. They are stored on your hard drive to allow our website to recognize you when you visit.
This site uses Google Analytics, which is one of the most widespread and trusted analytics solutions on the web for helping us understand how you use the site and ways that we can improve your experience. These cookies may track things such as how long you spend on the site and the pages that you visit so we can continue to produce engaging content. For more information on Google Analytics cookies, see the official Google Analytics page.
Social Media Cookies: Some pages on our website let you share our content through social media sites like Facebook and Twitter. Sometimes we may embed videos from sites such as YouTube. These sites set their own cookies, which we don’t control. You might like to check their websites to find out more about their cookies policies.
We appreciate that our supporters are of all ages. Where appropriate, we will ask for consent from a parent or guardian to collect information about children (under 16s).
How Long We Keep Your Information For
We will hold your personal information for as long as it is necessary for the relevant activity. By way of example, we hold records of donations you make for at least six years so we can fulfill our statutory obligations for tax purposes.
If you ask us to stop contacting you with marketing or fundraising materials, we may keep a record of your contact details and limited information needed to ensure we comply with your request.
You have the right under applicable data protection laws to access information held about you, and you can do so by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
To better safeguard your information, we will also take reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting access or making corrections to your information.
You have several rights under applicable data protection laws, which we’ve summarized below. These rights can be exercised by contacting BMHS using the details given below in this policy.
You have the right to:
- Ask us not to process your personal data for direct marketing purposes
- Request access to personal information held about you and a copy of it
- Obtain, without undue delay, the rectification of inaccurate or incomplete personal data; obtain, without undue delay, erasure of your personal data in certain circumstances, for example, if BMHS processing of your personal data is no longer necessary for the purpose for which we collected it
- Restrict the processing of your personal data in certain circumstances rather than having it erased
- Object to the processing of personal data in certain circumstances, for example, where BMHS processes personal data for legitimate purposes but you do not feel that your interests or fundamental rights and freedoms have been protected
- Receive personal data, which you have provided to BMHS, in a structured, commonly-used, and machine-readable format and transmit that personal data to another data controller or have BMHS do so on your behalf where technically feasible
- Be informed about any use of your personal data to make automated decisions about you and to obtain meaningful information about the logic involved, as well as the significance and the envisaged consequences of this processing
- Lodge a complaint about the way in which your personal data is being used to a supervisory authority.